Review: Kat von D Tattoo Liner

Kat Von D is a make-up brand by the famous tattoo designer Kat von D who runs her own Tattoo studio in Los Angeles. She launched the brand in 2008 exclusively at Sephora and it has gained popularity all over the world ever since. One of her most well-known products is the Tattoo Liner, which is a liquid eyeliner well-known for its staying power. This product is supposed to be water- and smudgeproof, just like a tattoo, hence the name Tattoo liner. It comes in black and brown and the black one is really black. To me, there is nothing worse than an eyeliner that claims to be black but really is grey. This liner is not 100 % matte, it has a slightly shiny finish, so if you want a matte line, you better skip out on this one.



I bought it online at the Canadian Sephora website last fall when I was in Canada simply because I have heard so many people rave about it. I was tired of eyeliners that were difficult to use, that never gave me a perfect line and that only lasted for a few hours, so I wanted the best liner available. With oily skin (including eyelids), nothing ever lasts on me for a long time, and I thought that this was my safest bet in the market for eyeliners. Also, I was a few dollars away from free shipping so I had to throw this one in the cart.

The brush has a very fine tip that is surprisingly easy to use and it applies smoothly on the eyelids. I can create any type of line with this eyeliner and I am always surprised by how fast and easy it is to use. The color applies evenly on the lid in one move, and the brush makes you able to draw anything with it. I swear, I could use it as a pen to write with!

Since, I do have another eyeliner that I use every day (its from Wet N wild and it is crap in comparison) I tend to save this eyeliner for more fun or special occasions. I don't use it when I am only going to work or school for a whole day. My crappy eyeliner doesnt las a full day but the Tattoo liner does. It really lived up to my expectations and it NEVER smudges for me. After a long day, it is right where I put it in the morning and I have never before experienced such a well-behaved eyeliner. This one stays where you put it and I really don't know how I will ever be satisfied with any other eyeliner. I am very demanding when it comes to make up, nothing is ever good enough and according to me, most products are more or less crap, but I think this one is amazing.


A close up of the eyeliner applied as I usually wear it. Other make up used in the picture is the Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow pomade in the shade taupe for brows and the Anastasia Beverly Hills Master palette by Mario for eyeshadow. 


There are several liquid eyeliners out there that people claim are dupes for the Kat Von D eyeliner, but I kind of doubt it. If you want to try one of them out, I will name a few here: Maybelline Master Precise eye studio liner, Revlon Colorstay liner, and the Physicians formula Lash boosting 2 in 1 eyeliner.



 A quick demo of how I use this product and a little experiment just to illustrate that this really is smudgeproof. This time, I included a voiceover in the video.


This eyeliner is available at Sephora worldwide and it retails for around 20 USD or 215 SEK. This product is completely worth the price. It is one of very few products that would actually feel okay about purchasing at the noticeably higher Swedish price just because I am so happy with the product. 

Final thoughts: Simple design, awesome brush, applies perfectly and lasts through anything. I really don't have anything negative to say about it. 
Pros: Everything I just said above.
Cons: I have read that it dries out quickly and doesn't last very long. I haven't experienced this personally yet, I still feel like mine is as good as the day I got it. 
Repurchase: YES.


Comments

Popular Posts